"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction"-Thomas Jefferson

Saturday, May 1, 2010

Gift Lists and Gift Cards

Back in the day (in other words, pre-Reagan) I was NOT a huge fan of gift lists or gift cards. But lately, I have changed my tune.

First, I think everyone needs to make a gift list. For yourselves...and for your children if you have them.

And I think you need to post the gift list somewhere where your significant other and children can see them.

AND I think you need to make the list available to others when they ask. No more "Oh, you don't need to get me anything." Simply say "That's very sweet. While you don't have to give me anything, I really appreciate the thought. I do have a few things on my list I would really love to have such as....."

Why such a breech of etiquette?

Because as a mom, I have to tell you, my brain cells are fried. Listen. I KNOW I don't have to get you a gift..but I WANT to..otherwise I wouldn't have asked and I would have simply sent you a card. And since I'm asking, I really do want some ideas of what you'd like. And frankly, if my birthday is the one coming up, I really don't need another whatever-it-is that I have too many of lying around the house. There are things I genuinely need and want. So I'm going to tell you.

I love that my mother in law embraced this idea. Her birthday is on Mother's Day and this year she put up a list of several things that she wanted. Love it. I'm going to select two and then give her the receipts so that if someone else gets the same thing, she can always exchange it for something else on the list.

Brilliant!

So what's on my list? Well, I'm glad you asked!

An offset spatula for frosting cakes
The entire Golden Girls DVD set (LOVE THAT SHOW!)
A gift certificate for more printer ink and/or a better printer (LOTS OF HOMESCHOOLING PRINTING GOING ON HERE!)
Some really great foot cream and pumice stones
Vacuum sealer
Wheat Grinder
Pressure Cooker

What's on your list?

1 comment:

  1. I have trouble keeping my list updated. I am all about gift receipts, though! Very rarely do I give a gift without a gift receipt (or offering the original receipt if they want to return it), and in those cases it is because it is something I am 99% sure the person will not want to return. And gift cards are always welcome (to give or to receive).

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails