"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction"-Thomas Jefferson

Saturday, April 23, 2011

Stretching a Whole Chicken

We've been trying to save up uber money..which isn't that easy when you're a single income family and you have a certain someone in your family that likes to spend money on lots of new homeschooling curriculum..um, er, yes that would be me. UGH.

However, we definitely need to save up. We want to be able to pay for the adoption of course, but we also want to put our house on the market and buy our dream home next year...and there is also the need that should come up in the next two years--a newer vehicle for Josh.

SO...I'm trying to find creative ways to save cash. One of the biggest areas to cut is the grocery budget. I decided to see how far I could stretch a whole 4 lb chicken. I made it to four meals (and that was with spilling another meals worth on the floor.....*groan*). I started out with a whole chicken which I roasted in the oven (I rubbed it with Josh's special seasoning..mouthwatering..and oil). It was so great. Afterwards, these are the meals I made.

-Served the legs and wing for dinner with lots of veggie sides (Josh took the second wing for lunch the next day with veggies too!)
-Made chicken soup with carrots, parsnips, celery and chicken
-Spilled a meal's worth on the floor. Decided to scoop it up and save it for Pritsha if she would eat it :(
-Made Granny's Chicken Pot Pie (which fed us dinner and lunch for all of us the next day)
-Chicken Noodle Soup with veggies and loaf bread
-Quite a bit of rich stock!!!

I think I did pretty well, however I'm anxious to see how far I can stretch a couple of chicken breasts now!

1 comment:

  1. Canning chicken breast is another way to stretch that grocery dollar out a bit more.
    You can often find a good sale price on chicken breast; we find buy one get one free a lot. But our freezer only holds so much.
    So my dad found out how to can chicken. It smells like canned meat (yuck) when you first open it, but used in soup or casserole it tastes fine.

    Maybe this is something you already do, but I had never even thought about doing it until a couple of years ago.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails