"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction"-Thomas Jefferson

Thursday, March 17, 2011

Southern Hummingbird Cake

I haven't had Hummingbird Cake in years, but I see one in our future soon! Sigh...seriously, if you didn't grow up as a southern child, you have no idea what you're missing!

And it's not just food that brings those waves of nostalgia washing over me---but memories of pure and simple innocent childhood that remind me of why I was so lucky to grow up southern--sipping honeysuckle juice straight out of the honeysuckle vine, catching lightening bugs on warm summer evenings, letting them light up your room long afterwards, catching rolly pollies (I never knew there was another name for them til just this year!), heaping up huge piles of pine straw to make pretend homes, spending all day outside running around like wild heathens terrorizing the neighborhood--stopping only for a sticky Popsicle at home..the juice dripping down your chin and leaving little splotches all over dirty white eyelet shirts, hearing the screen door slam behind you as you ran quickly in and out..no time to let it close slowly.

Sweet southern memories.....

1 comment:

  1. Mine too. I loved doing all those things - rolly pollies and lightening bugs were my fave!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails