"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction"-Thomas Jefferson

Wednesday, August 19, 2009

I'm Going Bananas...quite literally

Earlier this week I ran into Wal-Mart to pick up a few things we absolutely needed that couldn't wait til our normal grocery run (as in DISHWASHING DETERGENT ladies! I spent five years without a dishwasher and there was no way that I was going back to handwashing! The dishes could be growing mold I tell you and I STILL wouldn't handwash them! SO THERE!) Ahem, anyway, back to my story.

So I ran into Wal-Mart to get a few much needed items....potatoes and cucumbers among them. Which explains how I JUST HAPPENED to be in the produce department, which explains how I JUST HAPPENED upon a huge case of bananas for (are you ready for this) $5.00!!!!!!!!!!

I immediately purchased a case for myself and one for my friend and delivered hers to her house. Then I came home (and waited for Josh so he could heave the heavy sucker inside--after all I had already toted it around Wal-Mart AND delivered another box) and spent at least thirty minutes peeling bananas! A good portion of them were quite brown and bruised and needed to be used right away or frozen (which is what I did) but quite a large number were perfect enough for us to use the rest of the week.

All in all, I ended up with around 33 pounds of bananas! This is huge because instead of doing Christmas cookies for all of Josh's co-workers this year, I can do...dum da da dum...BANANA bread! MUCH easier! Especially with a toddler underfoot!

I just can't believe I scored such an awesome deal. See? Sometimes there ARE good reasons for tooling around the store all afternoon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails