"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction"-Thomas Jefferson

Wednesday, August 5, 2009

So Excited!

We're taking Reagan camping this weekend! We rented a cabin and we're just going to enjoy being together for a little while without any appointments to get to, schedules to follow or people to see!

I know Reagan is going to love it!...AND if I can ever get my husband to apply for a license, we might even do a little fishing as well...can you imagine me trying to clean a fish?? Yeah, right! I think I'll stick with thawing out chicken to throw on the grill!

In the meantime, I leave you with this recipe for Green Tomato Nut Bread. I tried this for the first time this past week after purchasing a loaf at the Farmer's Market. NOTE: I am not sure if this is the exact recipe she followed, but it appears to be close. I promise you this stuff is delicious AND addicting! Enjoy!

Green Tomato Bread
Yields 2 loaves (about 20 servings)


1/2 cup canola oil
8 ounces nonfat yogurt, plain
3 large eggs
1 cup sugar
1 cup Splenda (or use all sugar)
2 cups green tomatoes, pureed, juice drained and discarded
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour two loaf pans. Combine oil, yogurt, eggs, sugar, Splenda and green tomatoes in a large bowl and mix well. Sift together all purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, and spices and add to wet ingredients along with the whole wheat flour. Stir together just until combined. Divide evenly between two prepared pans and bake just until a toothpick comes clean from the center of the bread, about 45 minutes. Let cool in pans, then remove. To retain moisture, wrap in plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator. May be frozen.

Note: I found this version of the recipe at: Cooking with Michele

1 comment:

Related Posts with Thumbnails