"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction"-Thomas Jefferson

Sunday, June 14, 2009

Flag Day

I'm sitting here writing this as of Saturday evening. I've just been out to a wonderful meal with my family. The birds are chirping outside of the open windows. It's perfect weather. And I've just finished putting my flags out in my potted plants to celebrate Flag Day. I used to keep them up all the time, and somehow in the midst of getting the house on the market this year, I forgot to put them out.

Shame on me.

I don't know why I'm so emotional over the thought of Flag Day tomorrow. It's not a day that is normally celebrated jubilantly. And, for the most part, people don't seem as happy to celebrate the things that make us uniquely and wonderfully American as much anymore.

But I am. I am so thankful to God for being given the privilege to be born an American. So thankful that He made me a citizen of this great Country. And burdened by what continues to happen here.

Please think about all the wonderful reasons why we are proud to be an American tomorrow and display our Flag proudly. Think of the millions of Americans that have fought and died for our Flag, and remember that this is not simply a piece of cloth...it is a piece of us, a piece of our history, a piece of ourselves, sweat stained, blood drenched and waving proudly in the face of adversity.

God Bless America.


In case you were wondering, here is information on how to properly display our beloved Flag.

And here is the history of Flag Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails