"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction"-Thomas Jefferson

Saturday, January 5, 2008

Do YOU have a fantasy?

I do....*wistful sigh here* Every chance I get I return to my fantasy. Sometimes I return to where I last left off, sometimes I start completely over. And when I get a chance.....I slip into a nice warm bubble bath. Sliding down into thousands of sudsy bubbles, sipping a nice cup of hot tea (you thought I was going to say chilled wine didn't you?) and my mind just floats away....

There I am, standing, waiting. He turns to me, walks slowly over with his hulking muscular shoulders, opens his arms..smiles, and.............



(you're waiting aren't you...I know you are......)




hands me a key....to my beautiful new dream house. *sighhhhhhhhhhhhh* Gleaming walls of custom built, floor to ceiling cabinets, a kitchen filled with all the latest gadgets and a new KitchenAid mixer, and a warming tray..wait..make that TWO warming trays, refrigerators and dishwashers that seamlessly blend into the woodwork, gorgeous stone floors...a sunken family room ....a large formal dining room with creamy stone platters lining a rustic hutch...

Oh, hi, you guys are still there, huh? Sigh. Ok back to the real world. So that's it. My fantasy. I spend hours and hours staring into space daydreaming about where I'm going to put this room and what we'll do with this area and how many square feet should it be and do I really think we should only have 3.5 bathrooms, better make that 4.

Now recently I have been convinced that I should have a basement as a devoted family room...complete with walls of built-ins, cushy leather sofas and chairs, tables that let down for an art area, an office, a bar and an ingenious (if I do say so myself, thank you very much) little curtained area for stage productions courtesy of Reagan.

But today I was thinking, why have the family room there? I love spending time in my kitchen so why not make the family room open to that part of the house? So then, what do I with the basement? I can't get rid of it....it's as close to a bomb shelter as Josh is going to let me have!

[Yes, I'm completely paranoid and am seriously considering living on a farm raising free range chickens and cutting off all communication with the outside world...except ebay...must have ebay....(maniacal laugh here)]

Wait. Where was I? Oh yes, the basement. So I thought about putting the children's bedrooms there (Yes, as in plural. No, as in I'm not pregnant, nor will I ever be again.) But then there's radon gas. So then I thought of putting the master bedroom there, but what if someone breaks in and I can't get to the kids fast enough.

Yes, I seriously am this OCD.

So then I thought about putting the kids bedrooms on the upper floor (like a loft area) but what about a fire??? No, must have them on the first floor with me.

Ok, that STILL leaves the basement................

1 comment:

  1. This post cracked me up. :-) I'm sure you'll come up with a good use for the basement by the time you have one, and, if nothing else, you would use it as a panic room.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails